Click here for the full transcript of the conversation!
Did you forget something on the day after Thanksgiving 2012? No, it wasn’t the early bird deal at the mall for that Christmas gift your kid kept bugging you about…it was the first ever #GivingTuesday.
Founded by Henry Timms (@htimms) the grassroots-style effort was an attempt to use the online shopping season as a way to attract donations to nonprofits. Although many organizations didn’t have much time to prepare, 2,600 participated, and many were surprised at the results.
Check out this article in The Chronicle of Philanthropy, which features an interview by long-time #fundchat participant Shana Masterson (@npshana), national associate director for interactive fundraising and engagement at the American Diabetes Association. The article includes some success stories and underlines the need for nonprofits to begin planning now if they want to be part of the 2013 effort. This year, #GivingTuesday will take place on December 3. Check out their website for more information; you should also follow @GivingTues on Twitter.
So…join the #fundchat community on Wednesday, July 24, from 12-1 pm EST for, “Smart Nonprofits Plan Ahead for #GivingTuesday.” We’ll talk about what goes into a successful effort, share tips and ideas no matter what size staff you have, and debate best practices for leveraging social media, direct mail, and more. Who knows? We might even have a surprise guest or two…
Here’s how you can help:
- Spread the word! Share this blog post on your social networks and invite your colleagues to join the chat.
- Provide input. Offer your ideas for questions that will guide our discussion by using the comments section below. Check back here before the chat to preview the final question line-up!
- Participate! Join the conversation by following the hashtag or use our live discussion page.
Here are the questions that will guide our discussion:
- Q1 Did your organization participate in the 1st #GivingTuesday? Why (and how did it go) or why not?
- Q2 Is jumping on the #GivingTuesday bandwagon a good idea for “local” nonprofits vs. national/affiliates?
- Q3 What kind of social media chops are required to have a successful result on #GivingTuesday?
- Q4 Could multi-channel integration bolster #GivingTuesday success…but wait, doesn’t that defeat the purpose (social vs. traditional)?
- Q5 Could you invest those same resources into something else that would yield even stronger, more desirable outcomes? (thanks to @MLInnovations)
#fundchat is a weekly conversation on Twitter where experts share and discuss topics related to nonprofit fundraising and marketing. Joining #fundchat is a snap. Just use our live discussion page to follow the conversation. When you want to offer a comment or question, the form will auto-fill the hashtag for you. Alternatively, you can use your favorite Twitter client to follow the hashtag (#fundchat!) during 12 – 1 pm EDT to see the conversation in action. When chiming in, be sure to include the hashtag in your tweet.